- How do I register? Registration generally opens August 1st for the Fall season and November 1st for the Spring season. The divisions include 8U, 10U, 12U, 14U, JV and Varsity. Registration is through the Greater Birmingham Youth Lacrosse Association (GBYLA) and is community based for the Spring Season, and a non-community based draft is utilized for the Fall season. The communities include Birmingham, Chelsea, Homewood, Hoover, Mountain Brook, Oak Mountain, Trussville and Vestavia as well as outlying communities such as Clay/Chalkville, Pelham, Gardendale, Leeds & Irondale, to name a few. If you want to play lacrosse, you register through the GBYLA website when registration opens, and you will be assigned to a team based on your community for the Spring season. The Fall season does not assign teams. The players form teams on the day of play.
- What division should I register my child for? The age cutoff date is born on or after September 1st. The GBYLA registration process will assign your player to the correct division based upon the age cut-off. All 9th graders and above play High School, JV or Varsity, regardless of age.
- Do Divisions ever get full? YES!! If your division is full upon registering, your child will be placed on a waiting list. Avoid the wait list and register early!
- When are practices? You can expect two to four practices per week lasting approximately 60-90 minutes depending on your team, age division & coach during the Spring season. The Fall season is games only without practices.
- When & where are games? For the Spring season, High School games begin approximately the 1st week in February. Youth games begin approximately the 4th week in February. A game schedule will be released to you by your coach once available. Youth plays a 10 game season and high school Varsity plays a 12 game season. Games are played during the week & on the weekend and are scheduled based on personal coach schedules and field availability. For the Fall season, games are played on Sunday afternoons.
- How long is the season? The Spring season starts mid-January and ends mid May. The Fall season includes six games..
- My son/daughter is new to lacrosse, should they play in the Spring season with no experience or Fall? Your player is welcome to play either. Lacrosse is a growing sport and all our coaches know that everyone has to start sometime!
- What equipment does my son or daughter need? ALL players are required to have cleats (no baseball cleats), a mouth guard, and boys must wear an athletic cup. In addition, boys must have a lacrosse helmet, lacrosse shoulder pads, lacrosse arm pads, lacrosse gloves, and a lacrosse stick. Girls must have lacrosse goggles and a girl’s lacrosse stick. Loaner equipment is available on a first-come first-serve basis for Fall lacrosse.